VALENTINES DAY, a day for the lovers. A day where your other half will appreciate the effort of a stylish outfit. For singletons reading this it is worth noting February 14th is believed to be the start of the mating season for birds, a sign perhaps? Once again, how you look will determine how successful you are in attracting other….birds, of a different feather!
WHAT TO WEAR ON VALENTINES DAY?
Wondering what to wear is a matter of choice, naturally. Whatever you are most comfortable in should be okay usually but putting an extra effort in for your other half should always be top of your list along with the usual suspects of a card, a teddy bear, dinner, some cocktails and dancing to a make the evening as romantic as possible!
My Valentines ritual is;
- A card (the bigger the better regardless of the message for example funny or lovey dovey)
- Chocolates (these are essential! In love heart packaging where possible)
- A cuddly toy (make their hearts melt with a teddy bear or even better find out their favourite animal and seek out the plush toy version!)
- Dinner (pick your favourite restaurant. In Killarney I suggest the Genting Thai. Singletons, invite your desired partner for dinner instead of drinks or the cinema)
- Cocktails (lay off the bear and spirits and indulge in some cocktails with your other half, strawberry daiquiri anyone?)
- Dancing (find a place with great music and dance the night away some 80s music!)
I advocate wearing a dapper outfit especially if you are a guy who doesn’t dress up often. Should you decide you don’t want to wear a Blazer then the next best thing is a Waistcoat! Wearing a Waistcoat will instantly transform your outfit and more importantly the perception of it. The impact is more powerful if you don’t do dapper very often. As the old saying goes “A well tailored suit is to women what lingerie is to men” the phrase is can be used to describe any form of dapper dressing these days given the popularity of Street Style.
For tips on Wearing A Waistcoat check out my previous post “Why Wear A Waistcoat?” what else would it be called?!
FASHIONABLE FRANKS OUTFIT
- Wool Peacoat by Burton Menswear
- Oxford Shirt by Burton Menswear
- Knitted Tie by Burton Menswear
- Waistcoat by Burton Menswear
- Trousers by Burton Menswear
- Brogues by Burton Menswear
- Watch by Sleek Supply Co
- Leather Bracelets by Ted Baker
Dressing Dapper doesn’t have to be expensive. Each item of clothing in this outfit was bought on sale! Check out my tips on bagging a bargain. Look good for less with Fashionable Frank!
DID YOU KNOW?
The origins of Modern Day Valentines Day can be traced back to the end of the 5th century, when Pope Gelasius declared February 14 St. Valentine’s Day. It was not until later the day became commonly associated with love and a tradition was born. Surprisingly, those old romantics of the middle ages in France…..and England believed February 14th was the start of the birds mating season (it might be for some of you :-p)
Valentines greetings were popular back then but it wasn’t until after 1400 the first forms of a written Valentines appeared (the Milk Tray man perhaps?). In fact the oldest known written Valentine is still in existence today crafty constructed as a poem in 1415 by Charles, Duke of Orleans who wrote it to his wife while being imprisoned in the Tower of London following his capture in the Battle of Agincourt. Not where you want to spend Valentines folks!
It was not until much later, however, that the day became definitively associated with love. During the Middle Ages, it was commonly believed in France and England that February 14 was the beginning of birds’ mating season, which added to the idea that the middle of Valentine’s Day should be a day for romance.
A WEEKEND AWAY
What better way to celebrate Valentines Day than a weekend away. Bring your other half to Killarney for a weekend of fun and frolics. They will love you even more for it! My photos were taken at Ross Castle. You should visit here when you come to Killarney. The views are breathtaking!
Remember, Dapper is better. Thats all for now folks!
I’ve been Fashionable Frank and you have been Fantastic!
Until Next Time,